Middle School February 27-March 20 What God says about sex and relationships. Here is a break-down of the topics we Read More
5 Words-God ( HS&MS) 6.21.17
Brief Synopsis of what High School and Middle School talked about:
We started off our new series this week called “5 Words”. Throughout the course of the summer we will hear from different voices and different words that help us explain the gospel. Tonight we heard from Andrew Kauffman, our local rescue director at Crosspoint church in High School and Wes Jang, our middle school director, in Middle School.
The word they talked about was, GOD. Here are some notes from the night.
- The Gospel is incredible good news, not good advice.
- 1 Corinthians 15:1-2
- The Gospel does justice and peace.
- The gospel changes you!
- Romans 12:1
- When the Gospel takes root, it starts to live inside of you.
- Who is God?
- God is GOOD.
- James 1:17 (this verse was used throughout the message)
- We tend to forget all the good things that God has done in our lives as soon as hard things happen. We immediately forget who we are, whose we are, and where we’re going. We let our pain define who God is.
- God is a good God. He always intends for good.
- Write those moments down when you see God doing good things in your life or others lives to remember for future reference.
- God is PRESENT.
- Look for God in your life. Look to see where he is showing up. Instead of asking God, how come you didn’t show up? Ask him, where are you? – look to see where he is moving in a situation.
- God is CONSTANT.
- God will never hide himself from you.
- It’s not the amount of faith that you have that saves you, it’s the object-the faith. God doesn’t need us. He’s the same, he’s constant.
- God is GOOD.
- Grow your trust in the knowledge that God is GOOD, PRESENT, and CONSTANT!
Follow Up Questions:
- Discuss how you both can relate to the fact that when bad things happen, we immediately throw out all truth we know about God.
- Can you think of a specific situation where this happened? How can you now see where God was in this? What truths do you know and how did those play out in that situation?
- Where do you find your meaning? What do you worship? If you were to be stripped of everything that you have; job, hobbies, money, etc. -would you still have meaning in your life?
- What do you constantly think about during your day? Share with your student what consumes your brain and discuss how you can not worry about these things and rely on God’s truth that he is GOOD, PRESENT, and CONSTANT to help you through these things.