Bridges provides children and young adults with varying special needs the opportunity to learn about Jesus and experience His love in a safe environment, giving families freedom to worship and serve God in His church. In Bridges we are constantly blessed and amazed at what God is teaching to both our students and us. We are reminded that Holy Spirit within each of us is perfect.
How does it work?
A variety of classes are offered, meeting the needs of children and young adults with mild to severe physical, cognitive or developmental disabilities. In addition a one-on-one buddy program can be used amongst their peers. Class placement is determined by the specific needs of the individual.
Students can be mainstreamed with a trained buddy into all or part of the regular Sunday school or youth programs based on their individual needs.
Five classrooms are specially equipped to accommodate a wide range of needs and ages.
- Curriculum is adapted to allow them to meet Jesus at their level.
- Picture Exchange Systems, Positive Reward strategies as well as sensory-focused activities all help to provide the best experience for your student.
- An adult-to-student ratio of approximately 2:1 is maintained in classrooms.
- Electronic pagers allow us to contact you immediately if needed.
- There is an ADA-approved family restroom.
- All classes provide the ability for you to observe your child while they are in class.
How do we get started?
It’s best to talk ahead of time with Kathryn Couchman, the Bridges director. She’ll discuss your student’s needs with you and together you’ll decide the best place for your child. An intake form is required to help us know your child better so we can provide the highest quality care. If you visit on a Sunday morning prior to talking with us, we will do our best to accommodate your child if we have a qualified helper available. An intake form will be required before they can be left in our care.